Tuesday 9 July 2013

Review: Despicable Me 2

(credit: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/despicable-me-2-108348)

Salut!
Don't worry, I haven't neglected this blog, I just haven't had the right time to do an entry. I have things in mind that I hope you guys will hopefully appreciate. ^ ^
Ok, so finally another entry-Yay! And this one will be my 'first' review on my 'new' blog. What other movie can be a good beginning post? Of course, one of the hyped Summer Film of 2013-Despicable Me 2.

Pretty nervous about how this post will turn out. I want to create a sort of checklist kind of thing that obviously will be flexible, but a good initial structure that my movie reviews can form with. And let's get this out clear, my so-called reviews aren't really like film critics kind of reviews, they're more like opinions and summaries, hence rather informal and personal-ish. =') In other words, just blab on about them...And those willing to spend their time reading it, will hopefully appreciate them. I hope.

So in terms of 'form', I sort of have something I'll be working with so far until I think of other ways to improve. Drama 'summaries' may follow this format also.
Here's how they'll go:

  • Introduction-What the film is about and perhaps that synopsis (they're still called that with movies right? not just dramas I hope).
  • Review(-ish)-Structure/ Storyline; Characters; Cinematography & Lighting; Music/OST.
  • Overall view-Includes certain scenes or captions that particularly caught my attention.
  • Overall rating-not sure at the moment whether to give section ratings or an overall one? 

If you guys have any suggestions on how to improve or any details or points you'd like me to comment on or even a basic comment, comment below. Much appreciated. =)

With that out of the way, I can finally get going...

(credit: wikipedia.org)


I think a good start would be to begin with the first movie: Despicable Me. I remember watching the first movie and my first few thoughts were: "This movie's weird" and in all honesty it pretty much was. The way it was 'directed' was different and in some ways, wacky. The characters I initially thought were strange as Gru's proportions are so out of balance, but then again, I should be used to that since I watch animes and stuff. In my opinion, the film was an average. Not the most awesomest film, but not so terrible that it made me want to cry out in annoyance. I found Agnes incredibly adorable though! And everyone loves:
(credit: both gifs found on tumblr, original creator of each .gif unknown)

And so that brings us to the main point of this review: Despicable Me 2.

(credit: http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/16348/despicable-me-2-film-review/)

This movie is basically a follow-through (I don't even know if that's what they call it, pardon me) of the life of the main character Felonius Gru, as former villain turned father. After some research, it's supposedly set around about three years after the first film. He's tried stealing the moon and being 'evil', but has found a new way in life. He's now a father with a changed personality and tries to find a comfortable lifestyle for himself, his three girls and of course, les minions. It's pretty difficult for him, since making "Jam and Jellies" don't quite make it.
While Gru, the ex-supervillain is adjusting to family life and an attempted honest living in the jam business, a secret Arctic laboratory is stolen. The Anti-Villain League decides it needs an insider's help and recruits Gru in the investigation. Together with the eccentric AVL agent, Lucy Wilde, Gru concludes that his prime suspect is the presumed dead supervillain, El Macho, whose his teenage son is also making the moves on his eldest daughter, Margo. Seemingly blinded by his overprotectiveness of his children and his growing mutual attraction to Lucy, Gru seems on the wrong track even as his minions are being quietly kidnapped en masse for some malevolent purpose.
(credit: taken from imdb, Written by Kenneth Chisholm )
After seeing all the trailers for this film, it made me want to go watch so badly. I don't care about how some people may think cartoons are for younger children, who freakin' cares man? Well, I know I don't. Animations are awesome and they too can hold such meaningful messages or simply make you smile. For example, even though rather off the topic of Despicable Me 2, Disney Pixar's Up I felt had a very cute storyline that in my opinion can be enjoyed by all audience who appreciate those sorts of films. Them videos of the cute minions are funny. Practically everyone knows...BA-NA-NA-AAH-AH-AAH! POTATO-NAH-AAH-AH. And on that note, I just had to link the video in down below.


Plus, even more awesomeness. Pharrell sings one of the OST songs for this film. Since I don't want to be linking too much videos from Youtube on here, check it out: Happy-Pharrell Williams. I like how the song gives a chilled, feel-good kind of feeling. Ya get me? Despite it's part in the film, as far as I remember, is pretty short, it's still a pretty good summer easy-jam.

Storyline/Structure

The movie hasn't got much complications in terms of storyline since even though it's a movie that all audiences can watch, it is geared so that the younger ones can understand. The beginning gives a good sort of summary in terms of like it sets the scene in some way showing how Gru's life has changed having a new lifestyle and now watching over his three girls. I think the story was pretty easy to follow. However, I think the main purpose of the Despicable Me movies are to entertain meaning they focus on adding the comedic details that viewers like to point out and remember. We all like to have particular scenes that we recite or even act out when reminiscing about certain films. Like how the movie, Mean Girls is such a quotable movie that I know quite a good selection of lines from that film. "You don't even go here!", "Your Mom's chest hair", "Too gay to function", I could go on for ages with lines and phrases, but I think that'd be enough. I might already be boring you guys...=/
For this film, I think it'd be the minions' scenes and the cute agnes scenes!

Characters

First of all, the character list:


Felonius Gru
Gru's Minions
Lucy Wilde (Gru)

Margo Gru
Edith Gru
Agnes Gru

Eduardo

Antonio

(credit: images taken from website mentioned below)

An interesting 'wikipedia' for the cast here.



Gru in this sequel is the same Gru-the Gru with the less villain side to him though. He's funny in a natural kind of way. Ok, I know he's a fictional cartoon/animation character, but I'm talking in terms of his 'personality'. He's a serious sort of guy, but for the audience his little mistakes and stumbles are funny for us guys and I think that's what makes the audience like him-he's a pretty awkward and wacky guy.
(credit: collider.com/despicable-me-2-sequel-trailer)

Lucy Wilde is a character who takes a bit to getting used to. Of course since she's a new character and all. As with most of the people in this film, they have their 'scenes of fame' in which they get to be funny. She's like the female version of Gru, but a more happier and eccentric person compared to him. I noticed at the beginning that they wear the same sort of skinny scarf, and like I kinda realised that they'd hit it off. I love female spies, ya'know women who are like badass that know kung fu/ martial arts. Yes, Wilde in this movie isn't really a spy/ detective, she does have that lipstick zapper.

(credit: collider.com/despicable-me-2-sequel-trailer)


Argh, the Minions! They're so awesome. Many would agree with me that they are kinda a staple of the film. Even though they're not made out to be the main characters, their role is super important. Especially with the trailers and teasers, I know that they made me watch the film. And when you see accessories or items of minions, you'd automatically associate them with the two Despicable Me films. Like on Facebook, they have them new stickers thats I've already been crazily using. As per, they're crazy and random, making them even more awesome. Their outfits are pretty great too.

(credit: collider.com/despicable-me-2-sequel-trailer)

The three girls, Margo is the oldest of the three. She sort of has a bigger role in this film compared to the first one. Since you know she does have a teenager (wait, teen or younger? I don't even know fully) fling with this Antonio guy. Bleh, the guy is pretty cringey and I don't get his 'look'. I think their 'thing' is just a side-story. Pretty sure the director/producers used them just to find a way to be invited into Eduardo's crib house. Man, the father is weird. Like them Nacho Libre guys. Sorry if I sound very stereotypical...I like the latino/mexican/spanish kinda thing, but in this film, the guy's just...weird. I dunno, he just is. 
Edith doesn't have much in this film, hence I sorta feel sorry for her. Yes, she's a main character, but she doesn't really do much in Despicable Me 2.
Then we finally have Agnes. She's still young at the age of 6, but that's what she's there for-to be cute and funny at the same time. She's a crazy lil' kid and rather random too, but that's what makes the audience absolutely love her. Like the minions, I also think she is a staple of the film.

(credit: collider.com/despicable-me-2-sequel-trailer)


Technical Stuff

Overall, 'filmed' well. Despite being an animation, the shots are good. Sorry, I didn't really spend much time observing this side of the film, just wanted to simply enjoy it's random simplicities (does that even make sense?)

Music/OST

I like how the tracks they used for this film aren't the typical. It gives it an edge. Like with the main trailer they use a rap sorta song and as mentioned, they have a song by Pharrell Williams.

Overall

So overall, a good film! Was expecting more epic movie since I got pretty hyped with the teasers and doing harmonising with some friends as minions. Of course. But then again, pas mal. =) Yup, I recommend it to you guys, whatever your age. And I'll be making some things involving crafts with the minions.
Out of 10? Erm...Argh, I suck at these. I think 8?


There ya go. I know I didn't write much content in terms of an actual review and instead blabbed on about a lot of things that were pretty off topic. OH WELL. I'll be varying the size of my posts but I kinda felt since it's my first review I'd make an effort. You'll notice when they get shorter. =') Sorry if I bored you guys and for those who took had the time to read this all...Whoah, bravo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment