Monday 16 December 2013

It was 'About Time'


Two consecutive posts about 'time', well that's something.
Yes that's right, I recently (well a few months ago actually) watched the new (no longer new, I guess) movie starring Rachel McAdams and Domhnall Gleeson. To be honest, regardless of the fact that I know McAdams is a good actress as she has been in films that I like, I didn't expect much from this film since I just thought it would be another 'soppy' romance with some time travelling like in "Time Traveller's Wife", which also coincidently (coincidence? I think not) stars McAdams. So going to see a film at the movies that you didn't have major interest on didn't really seem that exciting. However, I was actually surprised. I actually loved the film.

It was a Wednesday, that day after the French exchanges arrived. During the morning, I chilled with my exchange, a friend and two other exchanges, having fun in the music rooms and the dance studio. In the afternoon, the correspondents went on a small trip whilst I basically waited and ate food at home. Yes, I stuffed myself with Nando's crisps, not that has any importance to you guys...ANYWAY, afterwards, I came to meet my correspondent and we went to the movies as a big group.

Before I continue, SPOILER ALERT. I decided to make that bold and red so that it would stand out, just in case there are people still wanting to watch the film and prefer not to know what happens. What follows will most definitely tell you about the film.

Plot Summary:
  • At the age of 21, Tim Lake (Domhnall Gleeson) discovers he can travel in time... The night after another unsatisfactory New Year party, Tim's father (Bill Nighy) tells his son that the men in his family have always had the ability to travel through time. Tim can't change history, but he can change what happens and has happened in his own life-so he decides to make his world a better place...by getting a girlfriend. Sadly, that turns out not to be as easy as you might think. Moving from the Cornwall coast to London to train as a lawyer, Tim finally meets the beautiful but insecure Mary (Rachel McAdams). They fall in love, then an unfortunate time-travel incident means he's never met her at all. So they meet for the first time again-and again-but finally, after a lot of cunning time-traveling, he wins her heart. Tim then uses his power to create the perfect romantic proposal, to save his wedding from the worst best-man speeches, to save his best friend from professional disaster and to get his pregnant wife to the hospital in time for the birth of their daughter, despite a nasty traffic jam outside Abbey Road. But as his unusual life progresses, Tim finds out that his unique gift can't save him from the sorrows and ups and downs that affect all families, everywhere. There are great limits to what time travel can achieve, and it can be dangerous too.
    Written by Universal Pictures

"About Time" begins in quite a witty way, if that's how you could put it, because for example it began like them films when the protagonist talks in-a-way to the audience and it gave me a sense of...Right, it is quite difficult to put in words, but made me feel like I was watching a British film like "About a Boy" and "Diary of Bridget Jones". Gleeson's accent is like the same as those in them films and the beginning was filmed in a 'different' way. I feel like I'm going in circles here and I don't actually know if you guys get my drift...Oh well, back to the main point. That's it, the beginning of the film was quite comedic but in a humour that's not loud in your face thus the use of the word: witty. Tim (Gleeson) tells us about his unusual family and we're shown scene of each member of his family.

For characters, we have:


  • The mother 'Mum' played by Lindsay Duncan.
The story didn't really focus much on 'Mum', since of course she is not the main main character despite being the mother. At the beginning of the film, she seems like a very homey Welsh mother that lives life happy and just one of them people you don't really see 'loosing their cool'.
  • The father 'Dad' played by Bill Nighy. 
When this guy came up, the actor seemed like a familiar face but I couldn't pin point where exactly I've seen him but after some research he's been in quite a number of films such as "Love Actually" and "Pirates of the Caribbean". A tall, lanky 'Dad' that also seems the homey type, like them fathers who spend time with their children playing games with them or taking walks. The typical, however, I find families with parents like these pretty cute as long as they don't go overboard with the chesseyness. There's a fine line between sweet and creepy.
  • The sister 'Kit Kat' played by Lydia Wilson.
This character is quite 'wacky'. She is even described as being different by Tim, her brother. It is quite obvious that her (the character's) personality is strange but in them chilled and relaxed way. In some ways, she sometimes reminded me of me, but in a much much more exaggerated way since I'm not that 'wacky' (I've used that word quite a bit already). Her role as a sister is pretty sweet as well, since she loves her brother and the rest of her family. Towards the middle/end of the film, Kit Kat gets a little story 'focus' where it sort of centres towards her. I guess I sort of liked her personality despite it being rather strange.
  • The uncle 'Uncle D' played by Richard Cordery.
Not much of a major role this guy, but there to lift up the mood a little bit. This fellow made me laugh a little when you sort of laugh and like puff a little bit of air out of your nose. I think his role is the dopey but cute one since he's not always up-to-date with the current situation, but the way he is just makes him lovable as 'Uncle D'.

Overall, I think Tim's family is a cute and close family. One which can be adored for their closeness and praised for the fact that their kids aren't ashamed to be with and spend quality time with their parents. You know, a sad thing is that not all those who are fortunate to have a 'family' have the opportunity to spend time together. Some families are torn due to circumstances and events, whereas other families don't make the effort. It's a shame when I think about, because I for one, truly believe that my family is a blessing to me and I hope people, especially the youth, realise that your parents won't be 'physically' be there for you to lean on forever thus we mush CHERISH our time with them. With siblings, if any, it is the same sort of thing as eventually in life each kid goes their own way and sometimes you won't see your brother or sister as much anymore due to them studying at University or they've moved abroad or something. Sorry if I seem to be rambling about this, it's just something I feel quite...I dunno, something worth mentioning to you guys. For this reason, that is why I admired the togetherness of Tim's family (yes, back to the film) and it made me smile and go "Aw..." when I saw them laughing together. From the way this is turning out, I have a feeling this post might be a long one...Best not to babble on too much.



  • Oh, and we can't forget Mary played by Rachel McAdams.
Well durgh, she's one of the two main main characters hence she's pretty important. An American Kate-Moss-loving girl who's pretty 'basic'. That sounds mean, but I guess she portrays the simple type but with a sweet personality. Someone who doesn't reject the guys that aren't as muscley, tall and handsome which is good for Tim, since although he's tall, he's not the 'muscle man' type. Mary is...normal? HaHa, I don't know how else to describe her since that's what she is and it's Tim who is pretty 'different' with his time travelling skills.

Technical Stuff

This film was filmed (no pun intended) well. Simple yet effective. As I am typing these very words, I'm straining my memory to the movie because it was a while ago now and I've had this post on drafts mode for quite some time. I'm no director but the angles of some of the shots were done well. Oh, there was that scene at the very beginning, when Tim and Mary have their 'first' meeting in that dark bar-like literally DARK. It was slightly confusing at first but I guess an artistic approach.

Music/OST

Average music.
None that really pops up in my head.
I suppose I focused more on the story and what was happening in the film. Quite different compared to Korean Dramas where the OSTs freakin' make you all emotional. =')

Overall

About Time is a very good film. I wouldn't say it's major blockbuster, meaning it won't win every single award, but perhaps a film that is worthy of praise. The people involved in making the film haven't tried too much fancy stuff and basically delivered the movie in an effective way. The acting was good, but the writer...well, very well done. It's pretty hard to describe how simple yet good it is and I feel like I keep repeating myself now...I suggest y'all should watch it.
Great film.
I even cried a little. =')


0 comments:

Post a Comment